التخطي إلى المحتوى الرئيسي

What do you have installed on your PS Vita?

My PS Vita has become my main gaming platform as of late. I love diving into old PlayStation favorites in the palm of my hands, exploring the generation of excellent PSP games that I missed, taking down some of the best JRPGs on the modern market, and blasting through the best indie hits on the go.

It’s the perfect device I need to get through my commutes to the Japanese countryside. South Park predicted that the PSP was in fact a device made by God, but Trey Parker and Matt Stone were just a generation shy of the truth.

One area that Sony definitely dropped the ball with the Vita, though, is the memory cards. The biggest ones cost almost half the price of the console itself, and that’s only if you want the ones that can actually hold a decent sized collection of games.

I’m thinking of upgrading to a 64GB one after my wedding this summer. I gotta watch those needless expenses these days, so for the time being, I can only work with the limited space of 32GB. The horror, I know.

I’m the kind of guy who likes to take his entire collection with him. Even if I’ve beaten a game or have no intention of playing it any time soon, knowing that every game I own is the tap of a touch pad away just gives me a comfortable feeling. With the 32GB memory card, I’ve had to make a few sacrifices for the time being, but tell me…

Right now, at this very moment, what games are sitting on your PlayStation Vita?

For a guy who likes to have his collection with him at all times, it only makes sense that I organize it prim and properly as well. I have nine folders on my front page, labeled as such:

  • PS Vita
  • Indies
  • PSP
  • PSP RPGs
  • PSOne Classics
  • PSOne RPGs
  • PSOne Squaresoft
  • Persona
  • Final Fantasy

Yes, I can be a bit psychotic when it comes to keeping my games in order, but don’t you dare judge me!

PS Vita Games

See full gallery on TechnoBuffalo

We’ll take these down in order, I suppose. My PS Vita folder, as in games that are natively supported and developed for the console itself, has four titles. The only one I’ve played to completion is Ys: Memories of Celceta, and it is one outstanding action RPG. Be sure to check it out. Following that, I have:

  • Jet Set Radio, which of course I’ve played the Dreamcast version from beginning to end
  • Gravity Rush
  • Freedom Wars, which I picked up last week in the Sony Flash Sale.

I also snagged Gravity Rush for a dollar back in a previous Flash Sale. Great game, but I haven’t been able to dedicate too much time into it yet. Can’t wait to try more!

I suppose it is natural to carry on this one-sided discussion into my indie folder. After all, these games are also natively supported by the console as well. I have five games currently installed:

  • Lone Survivor: The Director’s Cut
  • Spelunky
  • The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
  • my favorite of the bunch Hotline Miami
  • Titan Souls, a game I just don’t have the patience to enjoy these days.

Again, Hotline Miami is my favorite of these, and its quick bursts of action and excellent soundtrack are a great way to block out the presence of your fellow man crammed into a sweaty Japanese train.

PSP Games

See full gallery on TechnoBuffalo

Going back a generation, the PSP library still provides plenty of entertainment and noteworthy games you might have missed if you never picked up Sony’s debut handheld device. The only problem is that a PSP game has to have a digital release or else it can’t be played on a Vita. This means over half of Square Enix’s offerings are nowhere to be found.

Probably for the best. My PSP collection takes up the most space on the memory card by far!

PS Vita folders can hold only ten games, and in total, I have 13 PSP games. Seeing as how I love RPGs and that the PSP is blessed with some truly great ones, that seems as good of a place as any to draw the line of where to separate them.

In the non-RPG PSP folder, I have five games:

  • Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles, which also has ports of Castlevania: Rondo of Blood and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night tucked away as secrets
  • Wizorb
  • What Did I Do To Deserve This, My Lord?
  • Power Stone Collection
  • and one of my current summer gaming projects, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker.

I need to catch up on Metal Gear Solid’s storyline before The Phantom Pain comes out, and so far, it is one of the best that the legendary series has to offer.

As for PSP RPGs, you can be sure there are a lot of these. My PS Vita holds eight games:

  • Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
  • Class of Heroes
  • Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble
  • The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
  • Riviera: The Promised Land (I love the Game Boy Advance release)
  • Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure
  • the wildly under-appreciated The 3rd Birthday
  • Ys Seven

I like plenty of other Ys games, but I have not yet gotten around to this one. Some say it is the best of the lot and others say that it is bogged down in a needless story. This is coming from a franchise where our hero coincidentally stumbles across globally catastrophic events after being shipwrecked on random islands every other week. Not exactly a bastion of good storytelling, but any Ys fan will tell you that’s not the point of the games.

PSOne Classics

See full gallery on TechnoBuffalo

And of course, we have my PSOne Classics. Those who know me and like to read my stuff should know that I was a huge RPG nerd during the PlayStation days, and my Vita is overflowing with both games I love and games I need to come to terms with.

For the non-RPG games though, that folder has eight titles. These extend to mostly platformers:

  • Mega Man X4
  • Mega Man X5
  • Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
  • Tomba!
  • Strider 2

Each of these has earned permanent spots on my console. The Misadventures of Tron Bonne also was released recently on PSN, and that is another lost favorite that I am never going to delete.

I also have a pair of oddballs in Herc’s Adventures and Vib-Ribbon, two games I am not a big fan of but are really small in terms of size. They survive the cut because they don’t take up that much space. Both are charming enough though, and I could come to like them some day.

Moving into RPG territory, again we have far too many for a single folder, so I figured the best way to split them up was to divide them into the obvious categories of Squaresoft and non-Squaresoft. The company was by far the most prolific RPG developer in those days, and it is represented the most on my PS Vita.

From Squaresoft, I have:

  • Threads of Fate
  • Legend of Mana
  • one of my all time favorites, Parasite Eve.

Remember the games “I need to come to terms with?” Well, I also have:

  • Front Mission 3
  • Vagrant Story
  • Chrono Cross
  • Xenogears

These are Squaresoft games that I didn’t enjoy so much in my youth, but I think I could if I tried again nowadays.

On the non-Squaresoft front, I don’t think you’ll be surprised to know that I have both Suikoden and Suikoden II on here. They are all-time favorites of mine, and I will never be without them as long as my Vita functions. The same goes for another all-time favorite of mine called Alundra, a fabulous attempt to improve on Link to the Past for the Sony PlayStation.

I also have two lesser RPGs I am only a somewhat fan of: Breath of Fire IV and Wild ARMs. They are both small enough to survive the cut, and sometimes I just like watching Wild ARMs’ intro for good feels.

Final Fantasy/Persona

See full gallery on TechnoBuffalo

And finally, the two closing folders in my monstrous PS Vita collection are series specific: Persona and Final Fantasy. Persona is simple enough in that every game in the series is on there.

  • The Persona PSP remake
  • The Persona 2 Innocent Sin PSP remake
  • the original PSOne Classic release of Persona 2: Eternal Darkness
  • Persona 3 Portable
  • Persona 4 Golden.

Surprisingly, Final Fantasy is the smallest folder on my console, but that is only because the games are too large. Trust me, when I get my 64GB card, this folder is the first one which will be filled to the brink. As of right now though, it is only home to:

  • Final Fantasy Origins
  • Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy
  • The Final Fantasy Tactics: The Lion Wars PSP release.

That’s all she wrote. My PS Vita is filled to the brim with games from every generation dating way back to the mid-90s all the way up until the present day. 10GB of PS Vita games, 12GB of PSP games, 684MB of PSOne Classics, and 883MB of save files, most of them for Peace Walker.

That leaves just 476MB of free space left to work with. Maybe I can cram an old PlayStation game in there… or maybe I should let it be in case a save file proves to be too big.

Thanks a lot. Maybe we’ll check in again with your other consoles in the coming days.



from TechnoBuffalo http://ift.tt/1JQSBKR

تعليقات

المشاركات الشائعة من هذه المدونة

Exec behind “Next Big Thing” campaign has departed Samsung

Samsung Mobile CMO, Todd Pendleton, has reportedly departed the company, according to CNET . Pendleton is credited with creating Samsung’s famous “Next Big Thing” campaign, which took aim at the company’s rivals while highlighting the benefits of its own mobile lineup. The ads were smart, terse, and ultimately helped raise the awareness of Samsung’s brand as a major smartphone maker here in the U.S. It’s unclear why Pendleton left, but it’s being reported that Samsung executives became dissatisfied with the campaign’s recent success, even going so far as auditing the mobile division’s Dallas headquarters. It seems you can only use the Next Big Thing tagline so many times; the commercials have taken a decidedly different turn over the past few months, focusing on design, functionality and features rather than bashing Samsung competitors. The timing, I suppose, seems appropriate given that Samsung has just unveiled two new flagships, the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge. Samsung is clearly

You can now control PowerPoint for iPhone with your Apple Watch

Want to master the CMO role?  Join us for GrowthBeat Summit on June 1-2 in Boston , where we'll discuss how to merge creativity with technology to drive growth. Space is limited and we're limiting attendance to CMOs and top marketing execs. Request your personal invitation here ! Microsoft today updated its PowerPoint for iOS app with a rather bizarre update: remote Apple Watch support. You can download the new version now directly from Apple’s App Store . We say this addition is “bizarre” because, well, why would anyone want to control PowerPoint on their iPhone from their Apple Watch? This PowerPoint app also works on the iPad , and we would argue it makes more sense to control a presentation on your tablet from your wrist than one that is on your smartphone. Here is the changelog so you can try to make sense of it yourself: PowerPoint Remote for Apple Watch: control your slide show on iPhone with a beautifully simple app. Start your slide show and easily navigate to

Pirate Bay co-founder won’t be playing NES in his jail cell

Fredrik Neij, a co-founder of The Pirate Bay, the massive torrent site, was arrested last year for copyright infringement. That’s okay, though. He knew how he was going to spend his free time. Really, it’s not too different from what most gamers might as for: Nintendo. All day, every day. Unfortunately for Neij, prison authorities had some issues with the request. It’s not that video games are against the rules in Swedish prisons, though. That’s actually not too uncommon. To get a piece of hardware into the prison, though, it needs to be opened up so that it can be checked for contraband items (let’s just assume Nintendo-themed shivs) hidden inside. With a DVD player or something like that, it’s not too tough, but the NES uses special security screws to prevent people from tampering with the system or getting at the hardware for piracy purposes. For this reason, the Swedish authorities chose to deny his request. Their explanation is that getting into the console without destroying i